LABEL YOUR BOXES CLEARLY
ZippyU boxes have clearly demarcated areas, indicating where to tape storage labels. Package labels can be printed from within your account on ZippyU.com before move out. All boxes or stand alone items must have a unique label (no duplicates). Labels should always be placed on the side of boxes and items, and we advise placing a duplicate label inside your box or item.
Your moving address is not required at this time. Once you have determined your moving address and date, please update your ZippyU account.
If you have fewer boxes/items than the indicated count on the labels, feel free to update the count total on all labels. e.g. “1 of 6” may be changed to “1 of 5”, if only 5 items are being stored.
WHAT CAN’T I PACK?
Here is a list of items you cannot and should not store with ZippyU:
- Jewelry, coins, cash, and collectables
- Items of intangible value
- Extremely fragile items
- Illegal substances
- Anything flammable
- Hazardous materials
- Nail polish/nail polish remover
PROTECT YOUR BELONGINGS
The most common error made in packing is failing to properly protect your items. Failure to secure and pack items properly can cause damage to your stuff. Please consider the following suggestions when packing your boxes for storage with ZippyU:
- Make sure items in your boxes are secure enough so that they cannot move around. Use clothing, towels, blankets, or crumpled newspaper to fill open spaces.
- Utilize bubble wrap, towels, blankets, newspaper, or clothes to pack fragile items.
- If you can, use the original boxes to pack computers and other electronics. This will ensure your items remain safe during transport.
DON’T OVER PACK!
Do not over pack your boxes. Avoid placing multiple heavy items, such as textbooks and shoes, into one box, instead spread the load across multiple boxes. This will prevent boxes from breaking, while ensuring our movers don’t break their backs!
- Try to place heavier objects in the center of the box to evenly distribute weight, and again prevent breakage.
- Boxes may not weigh more than 50 lbs. Overweight boxes are subject to additional storage fees.
USE THE SPACE YOU HAVE!
You may leave items in your individual plastic drawers, potentially allowing you to order a smaller box package. Drawers should be securely taped closed. DO NOT consolidate 2 or 3 drawers together, as we have allowed in the past, as the larger item becomes unmanageable and separate, especially if items are left inside. Additional fee will be assessed if drawers are consolidated. Labels are to be affixed to the side/front of the drawers.
SECURELY SEAL YOUR BOXES
Utilize quality, packing tape when securing your boxes for storage. Packing tape is provided in every supply kit, but if you feel you need more please purchase pressure sensitive plastic tape. Do not use duct or masking tape. We suggest securing every box (top and bottom) with three pieces of packing tape to prevent ripping or opening during transportation. You can’t use too much tape!
- File Cabinets/Desks/Drawers: Tape all drawers closed, and cover with plastic or cardboard to prevent scratching or damage during handling.
- Futons/Couches: Cover mattress with plastic or purchase a mattress or furniture cover.
- Refrigerators: Unplug your fridge TWO DAYS before move out to ensure it is completely defrosted by pick up. Tape the door shut and secure all loose shelving.
- ZippyU reserves the right to refuse pickup of refrigerators that have not properly been defrosted
- Furniture: Make sure all items are wrapped in plastic and have been properly labeled. ZippyU is not responsible for the loss of loose hardware.
- Ala Carte items: In general, please wrap and secure all ala carte items. Wrap and tape down power cords, drawers and any lose or moving part.